The brain and nervous system are considered the "final frontiers" of science. Study neuroscience to be part of the action.
Neuroscience is the study of how the brain and nervous system acquire, process and integrate information and how this information brings about the behavior of an organism. It is an interdisciplinary major that draws on insight from the fields of biology, psychology, chemistry, physics, mathematics and more.
Our major includes an emphasis on the physical sciences – particularly chemistry. As neuroscience researchers find it necessary to understand the brain and nervous system from a molecular point of view, you’ll have an edge.
As a neuroscience major, you will:
- Enjoy a competitive edge when applying for health professions programs, neuroscience research or industry employment.
- Take courses designed specifically for neuroscience and taught by faculty from four disciplines.
- Engage in hands-on laboratory and service-learning opportunities.
- Be encouraged to develop your own research study.
- Complete a learning experience outside the classroom, such as an internship, independent study or a research project.
The current trend in science is to understand nature from multiple perspectives. A neuroscience major pairs well with majors in psychology, biology or chemistry.
Our students frequently work with faculty on research projects like gene regulation of behavior in lupus-prone mice.
Many of our neuroscience students attend graduate school, medical school or join academic neuroscience labs where they work on some of the most complex neuroscience issues in human health.
What are some of our recent graduates doing?
- Graduate student at Notre Dame working on treating brain cancer by using nanoparticles to deliver drugs to the brain
- Medical student at the University of Minnesota
- Medical student at Rosalind Franklin University in Chicago
- Researcher studying the damaging effects of zinc after stroke at the University of New Mexico
- Researcher at Denver Health and Hospital Authority who previously worked at Sanford Research, Sioux Falls.
- Pharmacist in the University of Michigan Health System studied Pharmacy at University of Michigan
- Graduate student at the University of Minnesota researching in the area of Neuropharmacology
อัพเดทล่าสุดวันที่ February 5, 2018