BTech in Civil Engineering
After successful completion of the National Diploma, candidates may, subject to the applicable programme regulations, register for the Bachelor’s Degree in Technology (Baccalaureus Technologiae –BTech). The BTech requires a minimum of one year’s further study.
A BTech Degree in the relevant field of study will be conferred on candidates after successful completion of all theoretical requirements.
A student who has obtained this qualification will be competent to apply theoretical knowledge, practical experience and skills gained in a specialized area of civil engineering at the level of a Professional Engineering Technologist by interpreting, managing and applying current technology to complex specialist engineering activity within codes, or by adapting standards and codes, under minimal supervision.
Exit level outcomes:
The qualifying student will be able to:
- Plan complex specialized Civil Engineering activity, in accordance with the relevant codes of practice in their field of specialization.
- Design Civil Engineering systems, in accordance with the relevant codes of practice in their field of specialization.
- Prepare and administer the documentation for specialized Civil Engineering systems, in accordance with the relevant codes of practice, under supervision.
- Build and maintain Civil Engineering systems, in accordance with the relevant codes of practice in their field of specialization.
Admission Requirements and Selection Criteria
- An ECSA accredited National Diploma: Engineering: Civil, or an equivalent qualification of an equivalent standard.
- Also refer to Faculty Regulation EB3.
Conferment of the degree
The Baccalaureus Technologiae: Engineering: Civil will be conferred on students who have completed a total of eight modules listed in the prescribed curriculum successfully.
Fields of specialization
A student may only register for a Baccalaureus Technologiae: Engineering: Civil in one specialist field. Only once the degree in a specialist field is completed can the student be considered for admission to a second specialist field, subject to the following conditions:
- Credit may only be granted for a maximum of 50% of the prescribed modules for the second-degree programme. The Executive Dean may grant exemption from an exit-level module that has been passed in another programme at this or another institution. (Refer to UJ Academic Regulation 7.3)
- Exemption from or recognition of a module may only be granted for one further programme in addition to the programme in which the module was originally completed. (Refer to UJ Academic Regulation 7.4)
BIng in Civil Engineering
The purpose of the qualification is to develop an engineering intellectual who can identify, assess and formulate the engineering needs of the society at large, and research and solve the identified engineering problems creatively and innovatively, by applying scientific, mathematical, engineering, economic and other relevant principles and methods. The qualification prepares students for an engineering science, design and project-based career through fundamental understanding, use and appropriate application of engineering methods, skills, tools and information technology. The qualification also provides a platform for lifelong learning.
The student should be able to:
- Identify, assess, formulate, interpret, analyse and solve engineering problems creatively and innovatively by applying knowledge of Mathematics, Basic Science and Engineering Sciences from first principles.
- Plan and manage small engineering projects, demonstrating fundamental knowledge, understanding and insight into the principles, methodologies and concepts that constitute socially responsible (to local and other communities) engineering practice.
- Work effectively, individually or with others, as a member of a team, group, organisation, community or in multi-disciplinary environments.
- Organise and manage him/herself and his/her activities responsibly, effectively, professionally and ethically, accept responsibility within his/her limits of competence, and exercise judgment based on knowledge and expertise.
- Plan and conduct limited investigations, research and experiments commensurate with the level of competence by applying appropriate theories and methodologies, and perform data analysis and interpretation.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with engineering audiences and the community at large, using appropriate structure, style and graphical support.
- Use and assess appropriate engineering methods, skills, tools and information technology effectively and critically in engineering practice, and show an understanding and a willingness to accept responsibility for the impact of engineering activities on society and the environment.
- Perform procedural and non-procedural design and synthesis of components, systems, works, products or processes as a set of related systems and assess, where applicable, their social, legal, health, safety and environmental impact and benefits.
- Employ various learning strategies and skills to master module outcomes required in fundamental mathematics, engineering sciences, engineering design research and aspects of management, thereby preparing him/herself to engage in lifelong learning, to keep abreast of knowledge and skills required in the engineering field.
- Participate as a responsible citizen in the life of local, national and global communities by acting professionally and ethically.
- Demonstrate cultural and aesthetic sensitivity across a range of social contexts in the execution of engineering activities.
- Explore education and career opportunities.
- Organise and develop entrepreneurial opportunities through engineering problem-solving, design, technical research and managerial skills.
Admission Requirements and Selection Criteria
- Refer to Faculty Regulation E.3 for the minimum admission requirements for this programme.
- Students are selected on academic merit and a personal interview, if deemed necessary.
- The number of student enrolments will be limited.
Refer to Faculty Regulations EB4 and EB5, stipulating the promotion requirements for Engineering Sciences programmes and the requirements for awarding a passed with distinction BIng degree.
- BTech: 1 year full-time
- BIng: 4 years full-time
อัพเดทล่าสุดวันที่ January 14, 2018