Official Undergraduate Program Title: Undergraduate Program in Biotechnology, Universitat Ramon Llull
Credits: 240 ECTS credits
Duration: 4 years (8 semesters)
Language: first year in Spanish. Rest years are trilingual: Spanish, Catalan, and English. It will depend on the language competences of students and professors
Internships: all students complete internships in companies during the degree
Exchange program: students can study at foreign universities for one or two semesters
Academic calendar: September to June
Timetable: Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 2.30 pm, three hours of instructional class and three hours of applied labs per day
Objectives of the undergraduate program
The aim of an Undergraduate Program in Biotechnology, official qualification within the framework of the EHEA (European Higher Education Area), is for students to develop the necessary skills and aptitudes to become a biotechnologist ready to contribute scientific knowledge combined with ethical and social values, to the development of products, goods, and services.
The Undergraduate Program in Biotechnology provides students with a solid education in biosciences, coupled with biotechnological applications and a modern vision. The job-related responsibilities of the profession, place special emphasis on production methods that are environmentally friendly, sustainability, and the generation of products to promote progress and wellbeing.
The general objectives of the Undergraduate Program in Biotechnology are:
- To acquire the necessary knowledge in different scientific disciplines of Biosciences (cellular biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology, genetics, statistics, etc.) and engineering (mathematics, physics, process engineering, simulation, etc.), thereby enabling the student to identify and analyze a range of problems in the fields of biology and engineering, considered the fundamental working methods.
- To acquire knowledge and abilities to apply the biotechnological tools necessary in the development of products and services involving biological organisms or components, from genetic engineering techniques to the use of bioreactors and development of bioprocesses, along with applications to healthcare.
- To acquire knowledge of the fundamentals of business management and quality assurance, enabling students to work with interdisciplinary teams, fulfilling professional responsibilities.
Skills to be acquired
The skills students acquire upon completion of the Undergraduate Program in Biotechnology are the following:
BASIC AND GENERAL SKILLS
- Acquisition and understanding of advanced knowledge in a field of study. The course begins where secondary education finished, with the help of advanced level textbooks, and takes the student to a higher level that includes innovative aspects relating to current research in the area.
- Ability to apply the knowledge acquired in a professional manner and demonstrate the information through developing and defending arguments, as well as solving problems within the student's field.
- Ability to gather and interpret relevant data within the student's field, to support logical arguments with empirical representations, including reflections with respect to matters of a social, scientific and ethical nature.
- Ability to present ideas, problems, and solutions to both a specialized and lay audience.
- Ability to undertake further studies with a high level of independence.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary surroundings.
- Ability to appreciate the impact of a professional activity on the sustainable development of society.
- Ability to responsibly incorporate ethical arguments in a professional environment.
- Ability to include innovative aspects relating to the field.
- Understand and apply your knowledge of mathematics, chemistry, physics, and biology to the field of biotechnology.
- Understand and use general knowledge of information technology, technical English, ethics, and management in the field of biotechnology.
- Understand and apply advanced knowledge of biosciences and engineering to carry out activities in the field of biotechnology.
- Use tools, systems or processes to obtain the requirements established in the activities carried out in the field of biotechnology.
- Design processes and experiments in order to obtain the requirements established in the activity to carry out.
- Integrate the knowledge and tools used in biotechnology to apply them to the different industrial sectors that use, develop or produce biotechnological products or processes.
- Analyze, integrate and interpret data and information in the field of biosciences.
- Evaluate the risks of using chemical and biological substances.
The expansion and consolidation of professional activities in biotechnology and biomedicine in Catalonia, Spain, and Europe reflect an ever-increasing demand for professionals in the fields of biosciences and biotechnology, in a network of growing technology-based companies.
The professional opportunities awaiting a biotechnology graduate include:
- Working in biotechnological companies in a wide variety of sectors: Industrial biotechnology / Agro-industry / Environment / Energy / Food industry / Pharmaceutical industry / Diagnosis / Biomedicine.
- Working in RDI teams using biotechnological tools for the development and application of products and services using organisms or biological components.
- Public administration and teaching.
- Postgraduate degrees: master's degrees and doctoral programs.
อัพเดทล่าสุดวันที่ November 13, 2018